Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snow Daze

8:15AM Sunday morning.

“Constable Denmark, please respond to a callout at Central Fellowship Baptist Church. Oh, and don’t forget to shower and put on clean clothes.” I make Jed’s morning wake-up call on the 2-way radio before I’ve had coffee or looked out the window.

I make coffee and plunk down in front of Facebook to see what’s going on in the world this early Sunday morning. Everyone’s status makes some reference to snow. I look out the window and from all appearances, we no longer have a driveway or a sidewalk.

There is no way the Granny mobile, with it’s wide, low-profile hot rod tires is gonna make it to the street much less to church. I regret now making the wake up call. It’s clearly going to be an in day.

I’m supposed to be at work by noon. Albert took the truck to work for what I suspect will be his last dayshift at Canfor* – meaning from this day forward I will have the truck for back up transportation. (Next year I’ll get winter tires instead of investing in things like remote starters.)

My boss and her family are away in Disneyland. I try to call my other boss to tell him I am probably not going to show up. He’s unavailable - out shoveling snow, I suspect. I know my co-worker has a 4x4 and will make it to work. It’s likely that most customers are just as snowed in as I, so I’m sure he’ll be able to handle things on his own.

I settle in for a lazy day.

An hour later Ken calls to see if he can come borrow the snow blower. Ah yes, I think. You dig yourself out and then you can take your Momma to work. Which he did. So now I sit here at work with one hour to go. The customer count can be done on one hand and the dollars that have gone through the till certainly won’t cover the wages of me and my co-worker.

I take advantage of the lull to post this, Day 17 of the Blog-a-thon.I have no idea how I will get home.


****


*PS My husband will still be employed with Canfor. He and his brother are in the process of making a mutual agreement that he will work steady nights and Peter will work the dayshifts. It’s pending upper management approval, but seems like it’s a green light. No more 4:45AM alarm clocks.

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...