Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's like being paid to shop in your own home.

About once a year my closet needs an overhaul. I say it needs it "once a year" but I probably only do it every second year.

I don't have a dresser, my ever talented husband built me a closet organizer with floor to ceiling shelving. On the shelving are two Superstore green buckets - one for socks and underwear and another for lingerie, swimsuits, belts, and other small stuff that accumulates.

When I've first finished overhauling, everything is totally organized in great little stacks - T-shirts, long sleeves, sweatshirts, dress pants, jeans, etc etc. By the time the next overhaul rolls around it's pretty much a jumbled mess. It's a crap shoot as to what I wear when I reach into the dark closet while Alb is still sleeping. I reach in and ... ahh, something denim. And something fleece.... hopefully they match. And hopefully it's not a pair of jeans and a pair of sweat pants.

I've been saying I'm gonna do an overhaul for a few weeks now. Finally today I decided as soon as I rolled out of bed I'd just sweep everything to the floor and then I've no choice but to get it done.

As all the piles tumbled to the floor, naturally they got churned over and all the stuff on the bottom ended up on the top of the pile. It was awesome! I found at least four shirts I forgot I had ... and they still fit! It was like shopping for free in my own home.

I sat and sorted through things making a discard pile larger than the keeper piles. Last I dumped the sock bucket. And I hit the jackpot! There laying on top of the churned over pile of socks and underwear was a hundred dollar bill. A real one. A brown piece of legal tender! As well there were 2 twenty dollar bills and 2 fives, for a total of one hundred and fifty bucks. I have absolutely no idea how long, or why it was there.

What a bonus ... I have a clean closet, a bunch of seemingly new clothes and a pocket full of cash.

2 comments:

GraceeJ said...

That kind of wonderful never happens to me...*sigh*

mari said...

I usually find money in my winter coat when I pull it out after summertime again.. but never my sock drawer!

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...