Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I didn't mean to tell you that.

We had a fantastic weekend camping at Vivian Lake. The weather was perfect, the people were wonderful and my BBQ was successful.

Sunday afternoon I (with much help from my fabulous family) grilled up some burgers and hot dogs and threw out a donation box in the name of The Pink Panters relay team for the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life. This raked in about 400 bucks. I'm quite pleased with this and you can bet that I'll be doing it again. Perhaps next time I'll just write "donation bucket" and keep the money and run.

This was a weekend of firsts for Xander. His parents are pretty strict about going by the book as to when to introduce things into his life. Things like sunscreen and sunshine and solid food. The book says give Xander his first Pablum when he is six months old. He turned five months on Monday. He got Pablum on Saturday. Nana DeBalinhard fed all of my kids their first solid food and we took advantage of her being here this weekend and gave her the honour of feeding Xander his first bowl of the flavourless mush.

From the size of the crowd that gathered and the number of photos and videos taken from every angle, you'd swear he was the first kid in history to partake in a bowl of Pablum. But he is smart and talented and in true DeBalinhard fashion, ate every morsel at alarming speeds with great enthusiasm without wasting a drop. He's so clever.

Of course the wee child still naps numerous times a day. Bless his heart, Granny had to snuggle him to sleep quite a few times. I did my best, but wasn't always successful, to keep my eyes open until his were closed.

For the times when no one napped beside him on the bed the Fisher Price nursery monitor worked fantastic. It even picked up voices outside the cabin and projected them through the speaker which sat amongst the crowd to ensure someone heard him should he awaken.

One should keep this fact in mind while standing in the cabin watching the sleeping babe. Especially if one is having what one intended to be a private conversation with one's sister. Ah yes, my apologies to those men and women who got to be privy to that conversation.








No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...