Wednesday, October 17, 2007

From laying awake listening to him snore - to well rested butt sittin' on the floor.

I hate our bed. It makes Alb snore. I know all beds tend to do that to all people as they age but this is different.

For years we slept on a queen size solid foam mattress. When we moved to this small house we downsized to a cheap double bed. It's kinda like sleeping on a piece of slate. We softened it with a memory foam topper. But I don't care for memory foam much neither. I think it's a texture thing - it feels like dough, or a really fat stomach (which I am all too familiar with). Alb started to snore 'round about the same time. I didn't really put 2 and 2 together until we slept on a 6" piece of foam from Walmart all summer. Alb really didn't snore at all (I don't know if the same can be said for me, but I don't care cuz I was sleeping). Once again, I didn't really think of it... until we came home and the sawing logs started again.

I think the hard mattress makes him sleep on his back rather than his side. Perhaps it's just me. Maybe I sleep so soundly on foam I am unaware of the snoring that has been going on all along. Either way, I spent most of my day off yesterday wandering from store to store having mini naps in the mattress departments.

I found the perfect mattress. It's solid latex foam and I can take one home for a mere $2979. I realize I spend more time in my bed than my car, and I spent more than 10 times that on my car but I just can't do it. But the sticker shock was enough to jolt me into thinking my old queen size mattress really will fit in my small master bedroom. And the small piece of slate can be moved to the spare room.

I lugged the queen mattress by myself from the spare room to our room and flopped it onto the platform bed frame - where, of course, it hangs over about 4 inches on either side and 6" on the bottom, resembling the backside of an enormous person trying to sit on a folding chair. Even in this floppy state, I had a fantastic sleep last night -sans (that means "without") snoring.

As long as we don't sit on the edge of the bed we'll be fine. I forgot this morning and sat on the end of the bed to put my socks on. I ended up on my butt on the floor. Ooops.

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...