Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Brain Has Retired.

"One day blurs into the next. I never know what day of the week it is."

I've heard the phrase many times over the years from people who are retired. Frankly, I thought it was just an overused joke, and I didn't find it that funny.

Guess what? It's not funny. It was never meant to be a joke. I am 10 days into retirement and I can attest.

I rolled outta bed at 9:15 this morning. I knew today was Pink Panter Preparation Day. I needed to haul out the buckets of decorations, prizes and costumes and get everything gathered for this weekend's Relay For Life. But I was feeling pretty chill.

I made a coffee and plunked myself down in front of my email and Facebook.

My daughter-in-law greeted me with "Good morning?"

"Weird, for her to question that," I thought to myself. "It's another sunny day of retirement. Why would she question it?"

Followed quickly by, "OH CRAP!"

I had completely forgotten to take Xander to school this morning. I apologized and promised to pick him up.

After picking him up, he and I said goodbye to Mrs Phillips and I said to Xander, but with the intention of aiming it at Mrs Phillips, "Next school day Granny will be the helper. Won't that be fun?"

Mrs Phillips looked a bit confused and pulled out the calendar that sits on the table in the foyer.

I pointed to May 14 where my name was clearly written.

She responded, "Oh yes, that's not til next week, Tuesday."

"Yeah," I said. Wondering why she was confused.

"We still have Thursday," she added.

It took me another embarrassing moment to realize that today is only Tuesday. We still have Thursday this week for school. And NEXT WEEK Tuesday I am scheduled to be the classroom helper. Let's hope I can pull myself together and get there.


And on a completely different note, isn't little Maeve Liliana the cutest thing ever???






No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...