Saturday, September 12, 2009

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

Having been off work for six weeks now and not having a lot of energy to accomplish much physically, I've been thinking. A lot. This is not unlike my life under normal circumstances except that I don't have to dedicate six hours a day to employment.

It's becoming evident that they can carry on at work without me. Not so evident that I can carry on without a pay cheque. Retirement tempts me. Reality sets me straight. But I have a few irons in the fire, so to speak, and we'll have to see where it all leads. Probably right back to work.

But I have decided to start checking things off my bucket list. And writing my book tops the list.

The idea of writing a book has been bouncing around in my head for about 10 years now, so naturally many ideas have emerged from that. Ten days ago on the back of a motorbike somewhere around Blue River I decided there's no time like the present. The book was never gonna materialize if I didn't just plunk my butt in a chair and start moving my fingers. 

I spent a week looking a books and styles and content. I even read the bible (gasp). Well, not the entire bible, but parts of it - probably all too small parts but that's another story.

One should probably know the style of book they are going to write before plunging headlong into it. There is no way I have the stamina to stay on topic long enough to ever write a novel. Besides my life is so full of glorious content it would seem ridiculous to make things up.

My blog is messing me up. I've already written all the good stuff. As the saying goes: Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? Who's gonna buy a book when I've already freely published all the content?

However I came to realize that I have no intention of becoming rich and famous as an author - I just wanna see my name on a cover. Besides I'm perfectly capable of exaggerating and spinning the same story twice so that it's nearly unrecognizable. And quiet contemplation clearly shows that I have a whole lot more sh*t goin' on that no one has heard yet.

And so yesterday I crawled into bed with my laptop and began to plunk. I know 1590 words is a long way from a published book, but I've made a start.

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...