Tuesday, September 8, 2009

E.I. R.O.E. B.S.

I've been off work for 5 1/2 weeks. Although the weather has been absolutely fabulous the entire time it would have been nice if I felt a little better. However if I felt better, I wouldn't have had the time off work. Catch 22. (No idea where that phrase came from.)

I applied for EI immediately upon leaving work on July 31. I have faithfully logged on each week to submit my reports. The site ensures me they try their hardest to start payments within 28 days. I got a letter today informing me that they can no longer proceed with my claim as they have not received my ROE (record of employment).

I received the "employee" copy of my ROE with my last pay cheque and the bookkeeper ensures me they mailed the "government" copy off the same day.

I phoned the EI office today to find out what's going on.

"My name is Liana Ziemer... My SIN is... My EI access number is... My employer is.... My employer assures me they sent in my ROE. Where is my money?"

"Do you have a copy of your ROE?"

"Yes, ma'am. I have the employees copy only."

"Mrs Z, it's the employee's copy we need."

"Huh? My employer sent in the copy marked Government Copy."

"Oh, that goes to the government. Not the EI office."

Scuse me. I'm a little confused. Is the EI office not the government? Does the "government" not have the capability of posting the "government copy" to their files so all government departments have access to all information? What the h*ll does the government need my ROE for if not for EI? This government who cannot share an ROE but whom refers to me as Liana DeBalinhard when I log into the EI site - a name I have not used for 28 years, long before the days of computer databases. A name I have never filed an income tax under. A name I have never been an employee under. Heck, I don't even use that name on Facebook.

Ah, well. Such is life. I mailed off my Employee's copy today.

And still I sit waiting for the phone to ring and inform me they have a room booked for me in the OR so I can get back to work and forget this EI ROE BS.

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...