Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Pavement and Rocks


Thirty seven. I really don't feel like I'm much older than 37, but it's been that many years since I gave up my father's ridiculously long surname to become a Ziemer.  And with that exchange of names, came an exchange of diamonds and gold. 

Our culture norm is to wear a band of gold on your finger to indicate one is married. One difficult decision, amongst a myriad of others a surviving spouse has to make, is how long to continue wearing your "I'm married" symbol of gold. 

I'm sure there are some who've immediately removed their rings and others who wear them for years. It is really a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. 

I have chosen today, 37 years after having those bands of gold put on my finger, to remove them for the final time and put them back into the sage green velvet box from whence they came. 

I cry because of what this means for me. And then I chuckle as I can hear my Albie say to me, "Oh Babe, it's okay. Just wait till you get here with me again and realize you've been wearing pavement and rocks all these years." Diamonds and gold will indeed be pavement and rocks where I'm going. 
  


My interpretation of the word "commitment" during my art marathon of 2018




On this day, ten years ago, I also blogged about my wedding rings and give an explanation of the diamonds and gold bands in my right earlobe. (Which, incidentally, are still there.) 

Not sure when they will get tucked into their little white leather box 

3 comments:

mattzsenor said...

You both were of those who built on the foundation with gold and silver and precious stones. Thankful!

Bernie said...

Beautiful post Liana!

I cried and I chuckled also.... and also look forward to seeing him there!

Bernie

Sherry Toninato said...

You are such an inspiring, tender yet practical women. I am moved by your writing and honoured that you are sharing your journey with us. God bless you, Liana.

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...