Friday, January 4, 2019

Becoming Unmarried

Today has not been a good day for me on a number of levels, I'm hoping a rant is helpful.

Bruce will be looking for a new forever home. Pm for details :) 



Three years ago next week Bruce came into our lives. Bruce is a Ford F350 Lariat we bought in Kamloops. (Doesn't everyone name their vehicles?) And he is beautiful.

When we were doing the paperwork the salesmen suggested both our names go on the registration. "You know, just in case..." he said, "It makes things easier."

And I've gratefully acknowledged his foresight over the last few weeks.

The insurance is due next week and I didn't feel like doing much else today so I thought I'd take a 1/2 hour and run get that done.

I armed  myself with the papers from the truck, the renewal notices, my driver's licence, Albert's driver's licence, marriage certificate, the will, death certificate and even the truck keys. I expected it would be a fairly straightforward procedure, but I'm learning to be over prepared.

Turns out it's a 90 minute procedure.

Apparently they can't just change the name on the paperwork. Even though I am an equally registered owner, the current policy and registration needed to be cancelled and rewritten. I need to hand in the plates that are on the truck because there is 7 days valid insurance left on them. (But no, there will be no refund issued for those 7 days that cost $5 each to insure) The plates were the one damn thing I didn't take with me.

After a ton of rigamarole involving two insurance agents, and phoning head offices and even Kamloops, where the truck was originally insured 3 years ago, 90 minutes later he quotes me a final cost to insure.  He graciously offered to finish up the paperwork without the plates but I would need to go home and get them and drop them off.

We head over to the pay station and the total on the MasterCard machine is about $300 more than the quote, so I questioned this.

"Oh yes, that quote was for the insurance portion. Then there's the transfer fee, one registration cost, licensing fee and charge for new plates."

WTF? I just had to pay $300 to register and transfer a vehicle I ALREADY FRICKING OWNED!! I'm actually shocked they didn't try to make me pay PST & GST.

Had I known, I would have just re-insured as is and swapped the transfer papers in the spring when I sell it and let the new owner pay the fees. Live 'n learn as they say. It's really no wonder people lie and cheat when they make ICBC claims.

As I put my credit card away and gathered up my papers and new plates, the young man reminded me to return the old plates, preferably today.
"Yes, I will get them," I responded, then added, "as soon as it's convenient." Which I don't see ever happening.

During my hour and a half ordeal, one of the insurance agents was talking with another at the next desk over complaining that she had to find her marriage certificate in order to finalize her divorce.
"I mean really," she said, "How difficult can it be to become unmarried?"

"Well, honey. C'mon over here a lemme tell ya..."



Oh yeah, I'm supposed end on a note of gratefulness. At this point, I'm just grateful this day is nearly over.




1 comment:

mattzsenor said...

You are amazing sis!

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...