Wednesday, March 25, 2020

On the Hunt for the Ultimate Keto Bread Recipe.

Finding a decent keto bread recipe is always on my mind. Up until I started keto almost eleven months ago, I made most of my own bread. And I really miss it.   




Yeah, this is my original bread I USED TO make... you didn't think it was actually keto did you?!



A few weeks ago I was watching a video recipe of someone making a loaf of keto bread. I liked the shape of the loaf so I scratched down the recipe on a scrap of paper as I watched.  I was tidying up my desk a bit today and came across the scrawled out recipe and decided I'd give a whirl.  

The last line I wrote out said: 4 - 8" parchment-lined loaf pans.

I lined the loaf pans and mixed up the ingredients. The recipe calls for 7 eggs. I thought that sounded like quite a few, but then did the math and thought that's actually less than 2 eggs per loaf, so not too bad. 

I divided the dough into 4 equal parts and put it in the pans. Each pan had like, an inch of dough. I was trying to envision how it could possibly raise enough to make an actual loaf. I know eggs raise things, but there was only 1 tsp of baking powder in the recipe. 

Duh. Then it dawned on me.  The last line of the recipe meant ONE 4"x8" pan, not 4 pans.  Glad I figured that out before throwing all 4 into the oven. (Although, this blog would be much funnier had I actually cooked them like that.)  I scraped all the batter into one pan and tossed it in the oven and headed off to have a shower. 





I was hoping to emerge from the shower to the glorious smells of fresh baked bread.  But alas, it smelled like fried eggs.

When I dumped the loaf out of the pan, melted butter dripped through the cooling rack.  But I had a loaf of bread!



I decided it would be grilled cheese, made with brie, for supper.





The bread was so buttery, I didn't actually add butter before I fried it. It toasted up quite nicely.  

The taste? It was aiight.    

But it tastes pretty much exactly like 90-second bread with a hint of coconut... which takes 90 seconds to make, not 90 minutes.  

So yeah, still on the hunt for the ultimate keto loaf.  

I'll stick to my purple buns for now.  

I'm sure SOMEONE will ask for the recipe anyway, so here it is:

7 eggs - room temperature
1/2 c melted butter
2 TB coconut oil
2 c almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum 
1/2 tsp salt


Beat eggs 1-2 minutes. 
Add butter and oil. Mix.  
Add dry ingredients. 
Beat till thick. It never did look thick to me so I added 1 TB almond flour  and a smidge of X gum. 

Pour dough into ONE  parchment lined 4"x8" loaf pan. 

Bake at 355* for 45 minutes. 



















No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...