Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Occupied in Isolation.


My eldest grandchild has been diagnosed with autism. He is brilliant. He is vocal. His eleven-year-old vocabulary often puts me to shame - and I am a logophile, an author and usually considered somewhat intelligent. 
All that aside, sometime last year Mastermind Toys opened a location in my city. I signed up for their perks program.  
In early March I got an email informing me that since it was my eldest grandchild's bday this month, I could come pick up a free gift.   There were options, most of which were out of stock, so I opted for this fidget gadget.... 
About 2 or 3 years ago when "fidget toys" became a thing, Xander informed me, "Granny, I know it probably seems appropriate, but I just want to let you know that I DO.NOT.LIKE  fidget spinners.  I say this just in case you were thinking it might be an appropriate gift."   
Seriously. 
This is the mind of my now 11-yr-old, who was about 8 at the time.

I didn't inform him that I got a free gift from Mastermind Toys; I just put it on my desk beside the keyboard, in hopes that he'd opt to 'fidget' with the toy, rather than chew on my $400 Wacom tablet pen or nibble on the resident cup of multi-coloured pushpins that sits on my desk.

But alas, early in March, I went to Maui for a vacation and returned home to a Covid19  14-day quarantine so said child hasn't been around here. 

But oh my goodness. I love that thing. I fidget with it all.the.time. I even chew on it.  I try to see how small of a cluster I can turn it into, I snap one link apart and see how long I can stretch it out. I'm totally entertained by it. 

...umm, no, isolation isn't getting to me... why do you ask??! 



No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...