Monday, September 9, 2019

Widow, yes. Cougar, no.

I'm actually quite afraid of water, and I don't know how to swim. So I don't like to actually get wet, however, I love the water. Staring out over a lake, in any weather conditions, has the power to affect me to my very soul. And the ocean. Well, she takes it to another level yet. Yes, I love a good water view.

Albert and I were very much on the same page in this regard, although he did know how to swim. We loved our little spot at Vivian Lake and spent many many hours sitting by the fire watching the water.

It was my intention to keep the cabin lease for at least another year so I had some time for closure and  to just see how it went. But the owners of the property decided to take things in a different direction and all of the seasonal residents were given our notice to have our things cleared out by the end of May.

And yes, I was sad. I don't think I was angry. And I wasn't surprised.

But as they say, all things work together for the good...

Because honestly, I don't think that I could have spent much time out there without him. And once I got everything cleared out, I don't actually think I would take the cabin back even if it were offered to me.

But I miss the water. And our rainy summer doesn't count - even though I do in fact love the rain.

Anyway, in August I put my name on a waiting list to get a site at Bednesti Lake Resort. I was the 16th name on the list. So I just left it in the hands of God and decided I would be chill whatever happened. (Meanwhile, I kept one eye and one ear open for other waterfront possibilities... cuz y'know, that's how we usually trust God.)

But the fact is, I had never actually even been to Bednesti Resort before, so I decided to take a little drive and scope things out so that the next time I spoke with Bernie, the owner, I'd at least have a vague idea of what he was talking about. It's a few kilometres farther (in the opposite direction) than Vivian Lake, but it's all highway driving so is in fact quicker to get to from my home.

When I drove through the gate (I had an insider let me in... thank you, Brenda.) Bernie was there working on some equipment. Brenda informs me this is the first time this year she has actually seen him onsite, so it was 'good timing.'

"You know," he says, "I just had a site come up. It has a bit of water view, but it's not fantastic, but if you want it, it's yours. But I actually have another site in mind for you as I know you said a water view was important to you. But if you want to take this one and get your foot in the door, I will quite likely have a more ideal spot for you before April."

I whipped out my phone and made an e-transfer. He gave me the code to the gate. And I'm in! Sorry to all the other 15 on the waiting list. I guess it's all in the timing. And Who you know.

But alas, I gave away my trailer and most of my camping stuff in May.

Which, finally, brings me around to the point of this post.  I am looking for a new home away from home to park on my newly acquired lake lot. And I figure September is a better time to buy than April.

So, if you have any leads for a travel trailer, here's my ideal check list:

-25-29 feet long (but I will entertain the thought of up to 32ft)
-At least one slide out
-Air conditioning
-Prefer a bumper pull, but will consider a 5th wheel if it checks all the other boxes, since I have to beg, borrow or steal someone to tow it out there either way.
-Electric awning
-Preferably newer than 2010
-Outdoor kitchen would be a bonus
-Ideally a unit with a large window in the back and bedroom with walk around bed in front.
-My budget is around $15,000. Less would be lovely. However, I don't actually have anyone to keep my budget in check. Except maybe Jimmy, but I'm pretty good at silencing him.
-It cannot be "Cougar" brand. They do make lovely, lovely quality trailers, but seriously, I just can't entertain the thought of being a 54-year-old widow with the giant word "Cougar" written across the front of her sleeping quarters. Nope. Just can't do it.  (Would be kinda funny though.)


I'm not desperate enough for this yet.



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha omgosh love you, we have a 5th Wheel ya can have for free it’s sitting in our yard dying a slow strange death... maybe it’s good- it’s a ’Scamper’ signs that well stopped getting our play time ripped off, or better yet one of us will stop running away 😂. It’s old, no slide out no electric anything, kinda smells, had a leak around the a/c, the decor is 90’s but it’s very clean, had a bath and queen bed, new 5 inch foam and blessed be- a husband with a truck containing a 5th Wheel hitch.

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...