Saturday, February 2, 2019

Kinda Makes You Say, "Hmmm."



I headed off to do my grocery shopping as a beautiful sunrise arched over Superstore. I didn't take a photo because I was driving. Well actually, because I had my super fuzzy warm mittens on and I wasn't taking them off to dig in my purse for my phone. My dash display confirms it is minus 25 this morning. 

Westwood and Ferry Avenues are bumpy and jarring with compact ruts, the residual of 48 hours of snow we got that finally ended sometime in the night while the temperature plummeted. 

Even at this early hour I contemplated a number of things that just made me say, "Hmmm?"  

First I had to wonder what the heck was going through my mind to make me think it was a good idea to venture out at 7am on a Saturday when it is -25 degrees.  

Next, I contemplated something that has always baffled me, and if you have insight I'll gladly listen to it.  All summer long Superstore stores the carts in nice little rows in the foyer of the store. As soon as the weather starts to turn cold... outside they go. Covered in snow. And the -25 degree handle gives you frostbite on your fingers by the time you reach the produce department, and all you can think about is getting the heck outta the store so you can ditch the cart. Seriously. This has baffled me for years. 

And third, as I was driving home, I had to wonder about snow clearing procedures. You see people on social media bitching and whining all the time about it, but to be honest, I think the city does a pretty decent job of keeping up. 

I'm not sure how they determine which streets are "priority one, priority two" etc, but Westwood is a pretty main thoroughfare and is a bus route for a number of bus runs. And Ferry is a major road that intersects with lights at Highway 16. Neither of these streets had been plowed yet. Yet coming home, I turn onto Range, a much lesser street, and it looks like a superhighway with the snow banks pushed right back. 

Then I hang a left onto Wiebe, a short street behind Costco that doesn't take you anywhere but behind Costco. Again, this wee side road is neatly plowed right back and ready for the weekend. The only explanation for this is that somehow the big-box giant retail store is more of a priority than bus routes and safe access onto the main highways.  Kinda makes you say, "Hmmm...."   






Frozen snowy cart for my fresh veggies. 



Wiebe Rd, plowed and ready for the weekend.






No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...