Monday, May 17, 2010

A lot more comfy next to Dad.

"I have a cracked rib."

That's the story Jed has been repeating for a month or so. He even went as far as checking himself into the ER a few weeks ago. But since he hadn't fallen or injured himself they didn't bother to x-ray his chest. the told him there is really nothing they can do for a cracked rib anyway so just go home and take it easy.

Well, Jed doesn't really know what 'take it easy' means so he occasionally complained about his sore ribs but pretty much carried on as usual. He couldn't take the trash out but had no problem golfing 18 holes.

Whe you see someone everyday you don't really notice things like changes in weight. (At least that's the theory I hope hold true so my hubby hasn't noticed the 20 lbs I've gained.) But in the last couple of weeks numerous people have commented on how thin Jed has become.

After my attention was alerted, I could see they were probably right. I had him weigh himself. 144 lbs - that's down from his usual 165.

Then last Thursday he developed a fever and started throwing up. By Sunday afternoon when I got home from work, he was still dry heaving and hadn't kept anything down for 4 days. He was white as a ghost with dark gaunt eyes. I decided a trip to the ER was in order.

The nurses in reception weren't all that receptive to a puking 23-year-old. "Yeah, you and half of Prince George." was her response to his description of his symptoms.

Consequently we sat in the ER waiting room for a few hours watching rashes, drunken falls and sore tummies get deemed a higher priority.

When we finally got in to see Dr Chang (who is fabulous) I explained the "sore left side ribs" as well as his other symptoms.

He put the stethoscope to Jed's chest and then marvelled that there was no air moving in or out of his left lung.

The short story is that Jed was wisked off to xray to confirm pneumonia then hooked up to an IV with 3 bags of stuff pumping into him and a nebulizer face mask whooshing vapours and drugs into his lungs.

They took 3 large vials of blood from each arm. He did so well with all the poking and prodding. I was really proud of him and couldn't help recalling his early childhood and needles. Like the time Albert had to lay on top of him for the dentist to be able to look in his mouth. And six of us holding him down for his immunization in elementary school.

He'da felt like a superstar with all this medical attention had he had the energy to revel in all the excitment.

He did manage to give a hearty two thumbs up when Dr. Chang announced that he'd be keeping him for at least two days.

I'm pretty sure it was an intentional act of God (and hospital staff) but the nurses apologized to Jed that the only bed available for him was on the pediatric ward.

And a fine bed it was- a room to himself, large bathroom with tub/shower, fridge, sink, closet, free TV and twinkly coloured lights on the ceiling. There was also a comfy double bed in his room that, as Jed got settled about midnight, they offered me a pillow for.

Jed turned to me and said through his oxygen mask, "Mom I think you'll be a lot more comfy sleeping next to Dad."

And while that was very true, I took the words to mean, "Mom, this is my big boy adventure, please don't humiliate me by sleeping in my room." And so I didn't.

Here's my big boy on his adventure:

In the ER

In his room.

He'll probably be home Wednesday.

No comments:

Words. The most powerful source known to humanity.

I love words. I love to write them. I love to know their meanings. I love to know their origins. But speaking them - not so much.  You can&...