You get what you get.

I have always loved school and learning. I essentially homeschooled myself in grade three. In grade four we moved to civilization and I was able to attend a real school. Ahhh! I felt like I'd gone to heaven. Except that I couldn't go on Saturdays. I was sorely disappointed that real school was limited to five days a week.

Yes, I loved school, but school was not a social thing for me. I had a few friends. I didn't want more. I discovered early that I really am not a people person.

I loved learning. But only while the learning came easily to me. I had no intention of working to attain knowledge. I rarely remember doing homework. In high school my teachers wanted me to take the "enriched courses" - classes with a little more advanced substance to them. I used the excuse that none of my friends were all that smart and I wanted to be in the regular classes with my friends. I think probably the truth was, I knew I'd have to work at learning in an advanced class and I wanted no part of working at learning. Wasn't learning supposed to be fun?

As a result, I was really quite bored in my classes. And bored children do not attend classes. I was not a bad kid, but I'd be willing to bet that I skipped more classes in high school than even the most delinquent child. But because I still managed to pull off nothing less than B's, most of my teachers just ignored the fact that I missed 17 out of 51 days in one reporting period of grade 10. That's one in three.

I quit school after grade 10. I got married and made babies shortly thereafter.

After seventeen years of being a stay-at-home mom I decided maybe school wasn't so bad, and I headed back to adult education and challenged myself to graduate before my first child. I beat her by 48 hours! Yay mommy! This wasn't a GED - I actually took math and English and all that stuff. And I liked it.

After graduating I entered the workforce. The paycheque was nice but it didn't give the satisfaction and enjoyment I got from learning. Two years later I went to college and took and graphics and writing program. I loved it. Taking some of the elective classes online and through distance ed fit my schedule better because I wanted to remain working and being mom.

After two years I got to walk down the aisle and receive a diploma. *Confession time* I didn't actually graduate. I never finished the last class I needed for credits.

It wasn't long after college that I began to miss "fun learning." I signed up for a number of consecutive Photoshop classes online. I loved them. But then moved on.

I decided it would be fun to learn to paint or draw or do something more hands on. I went to the Artist's Co-op and signed up for whatever class fit my schedule. That turned out to be watercolour. Again, I loved it. I took three "semesters" of it and decided to take a break.

That brings us to the here and now. And I'm bored. Well, I'm not really bored. I don't get bored. I could do nothing and be quite happy in my own little bubble of thoughts. But I miss learning. So I signed up for an online creative writing class. It's not what I expected but I'd imagine I'll stick with it till it gets hard.

Then what's next? I'm running out of easy learning options.

****
Blogging is weird. I had no intention of telling you any of this except that I signed up for a creative writing class. And once I paid and got logged in, I realized the class is nothing like I thought it was going to be. But somehow once I hit "create new post" my fingers just run away with the story and you get what you get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the cluck?

The Ugly Parts are Part of the Beauty

BFF