Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Object of my Disdain

 It's all a matter of perspective.

I've hated the laminate flooring that was in our house when we bought it twelve years ago. Well, hate might be a strong word, but I knew it would bring my heart great pleasure when the time came to dispose of it. And with the great renovation project now underway, that time was last week.

We have a dumpster sitting in our driveway, and much of what was my home is now piled inside. Layers of multi-papered wall, ceiling tiles and fire engine red cabinets have all been dismantled and tossed into the bin. However, the despised flooring got neatly stacked into the back of the truck and hauled off to the cabin. It didn't make much sense to send it off to the landfill when we were living on pieced together peeling plywood at the lake.

What a surprise when I arrived at the cabin at 10:30pm after facilitating an art party the other night, to find that my man-slave had already gotten it installed. It looks truly amazing. It has completely transformed the cabin, and it makes me happy. How fun to slide across the floor in sock feet rather than walking gingerly half expecting a giant splinter to jump out and stab you in the foot.

The object of my disdain now brings me pleasure.

It makes me wonder how many other things/people/situations in my life that bring me angst and frustration could actually become a source of joy if I'd only change my perspective.






Goodbye lovely peeling teal plywood floor



The 'rag rug' I made with 40 pieces of Mama's good quilting fabric looks amazing on it's new background. 

1 comment:

Brenda Parisian said...

What a lovely outlook. Your mom always had such a great outlook and I remember her joy in redoing the kitchen in her house. What a beautiful memory you made with her fabric❤️❤️❤️
Brenda

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...