Thursday, September 28, 2017

T minus 10 to Maui

Ten days. We are going to Maui in ten days. 

The condo has been booked for eight months; the flights bought for seven. I wouldn't allow myself to drag out the suitcase before the ten day mark. Although I did sneak my carry-on out of the closet last night and begin to fill it. 

I'm so excited to be vacationing with B&K and the girlies. At four months old, this will be Daphne's first flight. I believe I was also on Beatrice's first fight back in January 2015 when she was five months. (Which is kind of odd - I don't really fly that much.) Bea flew like a rock star and I anticipate Daffers will be no different - she is such a good good baby. 

Bea has flown a number of times in her young life, and she is a good traveller. Well, she is just an all-round good kid. I trust this flight will be no different. Seeing that it is a six hour flight after a six hour wait (for the Kamloops folk) in the Vancouver airport, Granny is going to be prepared to entertain the 3-year-old in the air. 

My carry-on will of course have my travel pillow and a fold up fuzzy blanket, assorted electronic cords and gum, but the rest of it will be stuffed with random small gifts for Beatrice to open as often as necessary to shock and amaze (and cause to recant the evil thoughts of) the travellers around us who are sure to think, as they buckle their seatbelts on their tropical vacation, "Oh shit. A toddler AND a newborn. This is NOT what I signed up for." We'll show 'em. Right girls? 

I sat on the floor with my pile of goodies to wrap: sticker books, Paw Patrol grab bag, a few hot wheels, three small Shimmer Shine dolls with hair to brush, a couple of mini play dough etc. Hold on! Mini play dough? "I wonder if this is a good idea?" I think to myself. "Ahh,they are only small. And I will watch her and play with it with her. We will leave no trace crumbs behind."  

As I continue wrapping, I get another red flag in my consciousness. Is play dough a gel? Could this be an issue at customs? I start imagining the scene that could unfold as my mini gifts are confiscated, holding up the line going through security. 

I think it best to ask Siri what I should do, "Siri, is play dough allowed in my carry-on on an international flight?" She responds with, "I found this on the web: Play dough can look like the putty in home made explosives and there is an ingredient in it that can set off an alarm in the bomb ingredient detector machine. While it is considered a legal and valid carry on item, it may cause a bit of a disruption and lead to a pat down and thorough inspection of your items. But when all is said and done, you should get through security just fine." 

Uh, yeah. Thanks Siri. I think I will just keep the play dough to hand out at halloween as originally intended. 




 

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...