Thursday, July 16, 2020

We Became Two.

I want to start out by saying, "I'm Baaaack!!"

It's been four months since I last blogged.

However, I'm not entirely sure that I am indeed back. But I'll throw out a random blog anyway.

And honestly, it's not that I haven't attempted to blog. I have 6 or 8 unfinished posts sitting in limbo in cyber space that I just never quite got around to finalizing and hitting 'enter' on.

*****

For many people this whole COVID19 pandemic isolation/quarantine/distancing is taking its toll.  And I get that. It's been an unprecedented time in history.

But for me, I have to say that for the most part it's been a bit of a blessing. When I arrived home from Maui in March to find myself quarantined during the height of the toilet paper crisis, I had a number of friends sympathize with me and drop off free rolls of the said coveted resource.

I had already previously decided that when I redid my master suite I was putting a bidet in the ensuite. This solidified my decision.

But isolation was more than that for me.

The time based at home gave me opportunity to evaluate where my life was at. Where my heart was. Where my dreams lay. What direction I want to go.

Forward. That's the direction I want to go.

I truly have had a past that has been showered liberally with blessing. And, I can say that because it's the blessings I choose to count.

Oh for sure, I could rather choose to count the trauma, drama and disappointments, and tell you what a horrific life I have had. For truly I have experienced all this.

But I choose to have a good life.

And so I do.

And I choose to move it forward.

And while I move forward, embracing life as it comes, I do not discard nor discount my past blessings, and even my tough life-lessons, that have put me in the position I am in today.

Albert and I had nearly 37 years of an exceptional faithful marriage that was rooted in a relationship that started when I was just 15 years old. And I am so grateful for him. And for Jesus. And all that being in a relationship with the two of them has brought me.

And aside from Albert, Jesus, and my kids, I've had many other influences on my life. Not the least of which were JimE and Barbee, our BFF's.

As you may well know, JimE is Albert's brother. But more than that, over the years, we considered them first our bestest friends.

And we had so many experiences together.

The hockey years. When Barbee and I froze our asses off watching our NHL-wannabees play defence together in an unheated rink until 11pm then go for dinner after at White Spot or Hart Wheel Inn.

The trips together: Edmonton, Nakusp, Van Isle, Newfoundland. Canada. Oh Canada. That was 13 years ago today. Yes, today. We embarked on that monumental journey across our great country - A&I on motorbike and J&B the sherpas in the truck and trailer. Oh my. My heart grins a silly grin with the memories.

And seven years later we continued our way across Canada when we spent 3 weeks touring Newfoundland in 2014.

I'm sure everyone has fabulous memories of faraway vacations, but my heart tells me that we were blessed with extraordinary experiences that only we can cherish.

We were besties, we four.

And then, within a short time, we became two.

When cancer, Damn Cancer, claimed Barbee and Albie. And they graduated to heaven to life-abundant with Jesus.

And JimE and I became two. To flounder and find our way without our childhood loves.

And in our floundering we looked to Jesus, and each other.

And to be honest, we truly were just besties trying to make our way through our double grief. Trying to make sense of life. Trying to forge a path forward.

Both of us grateful for the blessings of our pasts, but neither wanting to get stuck in them, knowing that the future could hold extraordinary blessing, if only we embraced it.

Blah, blah, blah....

And  then one day last December, my bestie sat across the room from me and said, "Lee, I think I've gone and fallen in love with you."

...and we will be married in 18 days on August 3rd.








We look forward to entertaining you in 2021 in our new home that will overlook the Fraser River. 









2 comments:

Earth granny said...

❤️

Unknown said...

Love the heart stories, and there are quite a few as only you can tell them. I'm so excited for you both. Great little visit and looking forward to seeing your wedding video. 😎😊🙏🎵💕🎶

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...