Friday, February 7, 2020

I Have Nothing to Wear


What does one do when your night, that started at midnight, ends at 2:30am because sleep eludes you for no valid reason? 

I should have gotten up and taken a little pill or something. But no, I just lay there fighting it for two hours before finally deciding today was the day. I've been saying for weeks that I need to go through my closet and get rid of things that no longer fit me. And today was the day.  

And by 7:30am I had put on more steps than I did all of yesterday and walked almost 3 km ... without even leaving my bedroom! 

At 4:30am I put on a decent bra and comfy underwear and pulled every item of clothing out of my 3 closets and piled them on my bed. And I tried on every.single.item. Even things that I knew fit me and those that I knew no longer fit.  It took me 3 hours. 

It was actually kind of a therapeutic session.  

As I put on many of the items I had a little flash of memory - sometimes a memory of purchasing the item, sometimes remembering a time I wore it. 

And to be honest many items evoked no memory at all, for I simply do not remember buying them nor seeing them before. (Although, obviously I had.) Some still have tags.  

 I found myself talking out loud to no-one: 

"Aw, I loved this skirt," as I pulled it on and it promptly fell back down. 

"I'm so glad that we finally got to see Bob Seger." As I folded that red blouse and piled it on the "too big for me" stacks that were beginning to accumulate on my bedroom floor. 

"Oh Daddy," as I slipped the shirt I wore to his funeral over my head only to have it hang like a tent on me. 

"Miss you baby," as I tossed in the trash a number of leggings and t-shirts that are not only too big but have little spark burn holes from their years of designation as 'lake clothes.' 

In the end my closets by no means look empty, but I managed to purge 156 items of clothing to the 'donate pile' and a couple dozen more to the trash. Yes I counted them. 

And as a bonus, I'm pretty much packed for Maui as I separated out the suitable items as I went along. T minus 28 days till I touch down in OGG airport. It's never too soon to pack. 





This is what 156 articles of clothing stacked on the floor look like. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blogs always makes my day!

Anonymous said...

What she said "your blogs make my day" ♡
What a bold use of a sleepless night, marie condo arrives in your closets!
As a person living alone, I occupy every room with a vengeance
I need to use my sleepless nights purging "potential upcycles, unfinished DYIs", and hordes of clothes that haven't fit for years.
M

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...