Monday, November 1, 2010

The show must go on...

I'm not a cliche fan. But some just ring true. Take for example "People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime". And some people fit all three - my friend Patti is one. I could list a number of reasons why we just clicked. And for a season I would have listed her as my closest friend. We've drifted a bit, but I know that I can always count on her being a lifetime friend.

Our husband's were born within weeks of each other. We've talked for years about doing something incredible for their 50th birthdays - travelling to Newfoundland, taking a tropical vacation, having a big bash etc etc.

And then 50 closes in. And reality sets in. They had a quiet family celebration for Ken while we were away on Vancouver Island. I described Alb's simple party in a previous post.

But we did use their respective birthdays as an excuse to go for dinner and attend a CD release concert for our good friend Maureen. Maureen and I have always joked that the more famous she becomes with her music, the more people want to refer to themselves being "close personal friends". But I am a close personal friend of Maureen Washington. Just ask me.

Seven of us met at Moxies a couple of hours before the concert. We had a great meal, lotsa fun, a bit of wine and a good waitress.

Then we asked for the bill about 1/2 hour before showtime. It didn't come and didn't come and didn't come. Finally we just went up to the counter to pay. Our waitress informed us they were having trouble getting the bills to print - she had her supervisor working on it. But time was ticking.

"I don't need a receipt," I said. "But we have to leave right now - here's my visa, just find the total and take my money."

The girl greeter informed us she could "see your waitress, she won' be long."

Yeah, we can see her too. And it's been too long already. Waiting really wasn't the issue, if we didn't need to be somewhere on the other side of town in 4 minutes.

Patti speaks with authority, "Get me a manager."

"I'm sorry, I can't leave my post." the greeter girl says.

"Huh?" her dumbass comment takes us by surprise.

In a nice yet firm voice Patti says, "Get a manager, take our money or we are leaving."

No response from the girl beyond a blank stare.

So my friend Patti turned and walked out the door. She's my friend, what could I do but follow her.

Guilt and frustration consumed me as I walked into the parking lot, glad my husband had gone and brought the truck around so it was a short walk as I slunk to the truck half expecting to hear sirens or gunshot or something.

I'm sure the bill wasn't much more than three hundred bucks. They can suck it up. We had a show to attend. And we arrived just as the curtain opened.









Quantcast
PS - We went back at midnight and paid our bill. But if Patti wouldn't have, neither would have I. (We did get a 25% discount, a free drink and a $25 gift card to ensure we'd have to go back)

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...