Monday, January 8, 2024

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!








These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart. 

On January 8, 2023. 

The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first swimming lesson.  With high hopes of conquering my fear of water and becoming a swimmer. 

Oh, I knew I would never be a champion swim racer. I knew I would never make the dive team. I knew I would never make a career of teaching swim lessons, or leading aquafit. But I wanted to be able to jump into the deep end with my grandkids. And not drown. 

Not drowning was the ultimate goal, I suppose. 

The second photo was minutes after I exited the pool, where the water, and my youthful instructor, kicked my ass for a full 60 minutes. 

Seriously. 

I was completely beat up. Exhausted. In pain. And crying. 

(You can read the details of that episode in THIS BLOG POST if you missed it.)  

And all of that was exactly one year ago today. 

Happy swim-a-versary to me! 

Long story short, I finished the nine weeks of lessons as a swimmer. Not a strong one. And I still hate my face in the water. But I can jump into the deep end without fearing for my life. Ok, ok, I don't actually 'jump' into the deep end (that would get my face wet :D ) but I can somewhat gracefully let myself into 4.5 meters of water via the ladder and swim a few laps or tread water endlessly. 

Mission accomplished! 

A few times over the summer months I attended some aquafit classes. I prefer the shallow water classes because they feel like a better aerobic work out, but I am completely comfortable doing jumping jacks in 10 feet of water. 

It's amazing really. 

And October 1st, when lake season ended, I began registering for monthly pool passes so I could start going to aquafit every Monday, Wednesday and Friday while Jim plays hockey. 

A few times in November we learned upon our arrival at the pool that our aquafit class was cancelled. (I suspect due to lack of instructors) 

Our class usually has 20-25 participants, but there are about 12 or 15 participants who show up faithfully. 

Being new to the group, the first time a cancellation happened, I didn't realize that it didn't matter if we didn't have an instructor. Class carried on. 

And at the stroke of 10am, we began our synchronized flailing even without an instructor. 

Also unbeknownst to me, when this happens the participants take turns leading the class. 

At 10:27 Yasmin yells my name, "Liana, take over!"

What the actual freaking heck!!?!! 

I don't know anything. I'm new here! 

Jumping jacks. I know jumping jacks. 

And I begin leading the class in jumping jacks in 1.1 meters of water. 

I'm shocked. I'm baffled. I'm out of breath.

But I am giggling. 

Holy Hannah. Exactly nine months ago I was crying my way through my first swimming lesson. 

But look at me! LEADING an aquafit class! 

Happy swim-a-versary to me! 




 













 

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...