Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Your Freaking Out is Freaking People Out.

I went to Costco on Monday.

I bought toilet paper and paper towel because I needed both. There was lots on the shelf and I didn't notice anyone else buying any

We went to Superstore yesterday. We spent $178. I bought soup bones to make broth but no other meat. The coolers were not as full as normal, but certainly not bare.

The rice and cat food aisles were a little scant but there was toilet paper on the shelves.

I didn't notice anyone with ridiculous amounts of anything in their carts - and I looked for it.

I went back to Costco today (mostly for a few Christmas items I wanted) The beef coolers were full and so was the rotisserie chicken shelf. There was no fresh chicken, very little pork. No bread but lots of keto bagels. No produce in the walk-in cooler except mushrooms and pomegranates. There was still some fruit. I didn't check the toilet paper aisle.

I really saw no-one panic buying. Even at the beef coolers. There were many people taking the ground beef almost as fast as they were loading the coolers. But everyone only had one or two packs. It was all fairly decent and calm.

The store was quite busy for a non-pension/welfare Wednesday and the line-ups were long but they moved along quite efficiently and the staff were friendly.

People on social media are freaking out about people panic buying and telling everyone to calm down and just stop it. But to be honest, it's the freaking out about panic buyers that's freaking people out.

Stop freaking out about panic buying! It's not really happening.

These grocery stores pump through A LOT of people every day. Every single regular day. It only stands to reason that after three days of no trucks getting through from the lower mainland due to the catastrophic flooding closing every highway, the store shelves will become bare.

It will take a while for trucks to get rerouted and get the food chain flowing again but food will come. This will give us a chance to clean out the forgotten soup in the back of the pantry and use up the scraps in the bottom of the freezer that would otherwise become freezer burnt and tossed in the spring.

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...