Monday, August 31, 2020

My Keto Bread Saga Continues...

       





The hunt for decent Keto-friendly bread and pasta continues.  

I discovered this bread mix at Save-on the other day.  It cost $9.99 and makes 3 loaves. I have paid upwards of thirteen dollars for a loaf of low-carb bread in the past. And I love the smell of bread baking. So I was pretty stoked with my find. 

I resisted the urge to go all hoarderish and buy all 8 packages they had on the shelf. I bought two.  


    



Just add water, yeast and oil.  Easy peasy. 

It was already beginning to raise by the time I got it into pans. As were my hopes.  I was anxious for it to get into the oven and cook, not only so I could eat it but so I could jump in the car and race off to Save-on and buy whatever they had left on the shelves before I shared my great discovery with the world.  (I promise I did NOT hoard toilet paper, yeast, rice or flour last March.) 






The directions say it makes 3 loaves. I'm sure you could easily get 4. I made 2 large loaves, 4 buns and 9 cinnamon buns.  


Swerve brown sugar replacement is sooo delicious! 



A heavy dose of cinnamon and a handful of chopped pecans.  





I was already planning my afternoon coffee break. 





It took about half an hour to raise to double in size and be ready for the oven. 



Forty minutes in the oven and my house smelled amazing! 

I slapped some butter on a bun as soon as it was cool enough to handle. I was giddy. 

And I sunk my teeth into what I can only describe as cardboard with butter on it.  I was so deflated. 

The cinnamon buns of course taste like sugar and cinnamon, so they get a pass, but I changed my mind on running out to Save-on for more. 

It will probably make a decent grilled cheese sandwich or garlic toast. I won't throw it away. 

The texture is good. There's just no flavour. But I think there is potential to use the mix as a base and concoct  a decent keto bread out of it. I think I'll try adding nuts and seeds and maybe a dash of monk fruit. 

(And for the record, the mix has some wheat protein [gluten] in it, so it's not actually gluten-free for those who have issues with such.) 




No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...