Tuesday, April 2, 2019

100 Day Project


When I started the Writing and New Media programme at the college almost 17 years ago, one of the instructors made us go around the room and introduce ourselves and say why we were there.

"My name is Liana and I want to write a book.  I have no idea what the subject matter will be, I just wanna see my name on a cover one day." 

I practically looked around behind me to see who was saying the words that were falling out of my mouth. I had no idea where they came from. I had never consciously considered writing a book before that moment. I signed up for the programme because I simply wanted to go to school. 

I had poured over the college calendar to find something that piqued my interest, and I liked what the Writ Programme offered. But it was mostly the graphic design aspects of the course that nudged me to sign up. 

However, from that first day of class forward I have continued to say, "I'm gonna write a book one day." And truth be told I have started many versions of it and have just never followed through with any of them. 

Over the years I've had a number of people suggest I write a kid's book. My response was always, "No. I'm far too sarcastic and foul mouthed for that." 

However...  

At Christmas time this year I wrote a story to share with my grandkids that was inspired by Papa. And I determined in my heart that 2019 is the year I will see my name on a cover.  

I did some more serious investigation and googling in January to educate myself on the process of writing a kid's book and getting it published. Then Maui distracted me. 

Then I returned from Maui and I kept bumping into references, blogs and posts that mentioned "The 100 Day Project." You can google the details if you want more info, but basically it's a movement to encourage people to commit to create, if even for 5 minutes, each day for 100 days.  




Commit to spending at least 5 minutes a day for 100 days working on a creative project.
And part of my creativity for the day included painting this little sketch to include with the blog. 
With my past successes at sticking to my prompt-a-day to make a piece of art each day in February I thought this project might be just what I need to keep me focussed and determined to get my name on a cover.  

I registered. I joined the Facebook group. I'm all in. 

And so, from April until early July, I am committing to do something, anything, each day toward my goal. And I'm putting it here in writing so you, my adoring public, can help to hold me accountable. 

Today's entry in my 100-day journal will include: Doing a bit of editing on my original story and watching a tutorial on writing a successful kid's book. My takeaway from the tutorial is this quote: 

And with that, I may have to go back and rework some of the story tomorrow. 


No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...