Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Consider Yourself Reminded.

Ten years.

It's been 10 years today since I was branded with that title that no-one ever wants to wear. That is until you receive it. Then you want to wear it forever. Cancer Survivor.

My breast cancer was discovered by my first-ever mammogram at the age of 43. I can confidently say that I would not have scheduled my first mammogram for at least another seven to ten years on my own initiative.

However, my family doctor who normally took a fairly natural approach to treating things, and often prescribed, "Leave it alone, it'll probably go away on it's own," far more often than he handed out prescriptions, insisted that I get the "full once-over" before he would put me on high blood pressure pills.

Although I can be a bit opinionated and somewhat harsh in my expression of such opinions, I try not to get too soap-boxy about the whole mammogram issue.

Oh, I realize it is radiation exposure and there are risks involved with that. But it was a risk I was willing to take. And quite frankly am rather glad I did. One can freak themselves right out by imagining scenarios of "What if" and "If only."

I respect that some women will weigh the pros and cons of mammography and choose not to have one done. But I also know that some women will make this choice without really weighing the options because choosing not to have a mammogram allows you to get out of subjecting the sisters the proverbial booby torture chamber. Which, I will admit, due to the jokes and comments surrounding mammography, I was terrified of before I went the first time.

However when it came right down to it, I was almost disappointed at the lack of pain and drama involved.  Yeah, you gotta flop the girls onto a cold glass table and there's a bit of pressure, but I've had more pain from an ill-fitting bra.

So while I try not get soap-boxy, I do feel it my reasonable responsibility to tell my story and encourage women to make the appointment and risk the radiation for the possible chance of early detection, and thus earlier treatment, which is generally less invasive and more successful than treating cancers that are further along.

I believe that it's a yearly radiation risk with more value than some of the other things we willingly expose ourselves to on a daily basis: cellphones, microwave ovens, smart meters - all sources of radiation that we are willing to take the risk daily for for the conveniences they provide.   And we all dance with glee at the chance to walk through a radiation chamber at the airport so we can go on a vacation.

If you choose to avoid a mammogram because you don't like the risk, then by all means don't have a mammogram. But if you, like many, don't get regular mammograms simply because you forget to book it, consider yourself reminded.

Happy October! Which is breast cancer awareness month - the month, 10 years ago, that I became more aware than I would like to be.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder, Liana

Anonymous said...

My reminder card has been mocking me on the fridge for a couple of months.
Time to make the call, thanks for the reminder!

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...