Wednesday, February 21, 2018

My Wanderlust Ways are Being Watched

I have no intention of spending less time on Facebook, but sometimes it is a bit freaky.

I am currently participating in a 28-day Daily Art Practice Challenge with Opus Art Supplies.

Each morning I am emailed a prompt word at 5:35am. I have no idea why it comes at this exact time, but every day I find myself waking at 5:36 and fighting getting out of bed until 6 o'clock to check my prompt.

I know this is a god-awful time and there is absolutely no reason for someone not enslaved to employment to be awake, but I convince myself that I will just check the word and go back to bed to dream of what I might paint.

I stumble to the kitchen and brew a coffee, in an act of admitting complete denial of any intentions of going back to bed, before opening my email.

Today's prompt was "Wanderlust."  The word itself seems old and outdated and is defined by Merriam Webster as "strong longing or impulse toward wandering."  And while the dictionary could probably post my picture as part of the definition, (I live a bit of a wishy-washy la-la-la artist-y sort of life) it's a word I could count on one hand the number of times I've ever used it. And I think they all happened today.

Nothing I have done in my life epitomizes "wanderlust" to me more than our trip across Canada on our Goldwing. And more specifically, August 11, 2007 when we rode the Cabot Trail. I just try to block out of my mind that it was more than 10 years ago - it feels like yesterday. Yet feels like another lifetime away.

And here I go wanderlusting away on a rabbit trail again...

I posted my Wanderlust painting to Facebook, both on my personal page and the Opus page, sometime in the morning:


I will probably go back and re-work parts of this painting. My favourite part of it is my hubby's sexy arm in the mirror reflection - A view I had for six and a half weeks. 

Within an hour of posting this photo online I began seeing this ad that appeared numerous times throughout the day on Facebook:





Seriously!!??! Wanderlust is NOT a common word. This is not a fluke. It's a bit freaky. And on the other hand, I used to set up the Google advertising for work back in the day - 5 or 6 years ago, and I know how it works with cookies, keywords, demographics etc. But still, it somehow seems different when you are the prey instead of the predator. 


Reminds me of a time a while back when I washed my kitchen floors with Pinesol and strategically cornered myself into the area where my computer was so that I could lallygag on Facebook while waiting for the floors to dry.  I opened my browser and one of the first ads I saw was for Pinesol. Yes. Pinesol. 

Do you ever remember seeing an ad for Pinesol? I didn't. That was bizarre. I get that marketing uses cookies based on your browsing history. I even can fathom marketers having access to your microphone and/or camera in a Big Brother sort of way. But smells?? (The computer is out of camera view of the kitchen and I certainly didn't talk to myself about Pinesol.) Too weird. 










No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...