Sunday, January 14, 2018

Bark. Bark. Bark bark bark.

Isn't cinnamon just ground up bark? Why does it have an expiry date? And does the expiry date really matter?

Cuz, like, I make pretty fantastical cinnamon buns on a fairly regular basis. They always taste quite yummy and I've never had anyone refuse to eat one (occasionally people will pick off the raisins but never refuse to eat the bun.)

And yeah, after Maeve and I made bread and cinnamon buns today I was putting the cinnamon back in the cupboad and happen to notice the expiry date. Umm... October 2015. 



Poor little Maevey innocently adding 3-year out dated cinnamon  and 2 cups of Demerara sugar (but NO raisins) to her dough creations. 

No-one has died. No one has gagged on one. I'm marginally embarrassed about it. And I did go to Costco this afternoon to buy steak (and they were super yummy Ribeye with lots of marbling for $26/kg - wished I woulda picked up a couple of packs) And I bought a replacement cinnamon while I was there.


Maybe 3 minutes too long in the oven - I'm still getting used to my new convection oven.




303 grams in a jar. That's the most bizarre measure I have ever seen on a food item.  Thinking it must translate over to a nice even number in ounces, I googled it.  It's 10.688 ounces. WTF?? Who decided it should be 303 grams in a bottle? It obviously wasn't someone with OCD. 





So yeah, the old cinnamon is off the landfill (probably for no good reason, other than  for me to  publicly save face) 


The new bottle expires in November 2019. If I offer you a fresh baked cinnamon after that date, you might wanna check my cupboards as see if I've used up 303 grams of cinnamon by then. 

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...