Tuesday, December 26, 2017

I blamed the daycare

Periodic traffic jams in my quiet residential neighbourhood in all sorts of weather.


Currently it is somewhere around -30 degrees and there is a traffic jam on my quiet residential street.

The house across the street, next to the park, was home to a successful daycare/preschool for a number of years. And by successful, I mean one that had a lot of kids attending. And with a lot kids comes a lot of pick-up and drop-offs through the day, and traffic jams on our residential street every day at 9am, 12-1pm and 3:00pm. Many times I had to wait to get out of or into my driveway as parents would park right across the end of the driveway "for a quick sec" while they dropped or picked their kid up.

I tried not to get too grouchy about it as I know decent daycare can be hard to find. Other than the traffic and the incessant screaming and general park noises, the daycare wasn't too bothersome.

Well, the daycare became so successful, it actually moved and took over the Child Development Centre back in September.  Yet still, we periodically get random traffic jams on our quiet street. This perplexed me. So I started paying attention to what it was all about.

It probably averages about once a week - that I notice anyway. There is a sudden influx of vehicles. Everyone sits in their vehicles for about 5 minutes or so. Then they all jump out of their cars at the same time, with their phones in hand. They scurry about for a couple of minutes, then muster together in small groups to chat for a moment or two, and just as quickly dispense from their groups like a cluster of baby spiders after you step on their mother. And they drive away.

I am completely guessing here, but it appears to be a game of Pokemon Go. I am not familiar with the game much, other than I know it was a bit of an obsession for people a couple of years ago. Do they still play? To this degree? Seriously. These are not bored teenagers with nothing else to do on their Christmas vacation. These are grown-ass adults in expensive cars. There are currently no less than nine vehicles in front of my house. And did I mention it was minus 30ish?

No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...