Saturday, December 12, 2015

Grandpa One Eye

My name is Liana, and as the oldest granddaughter I am elected to represent the 23 grandchildren in honouring Grandpa today.

I have a few memories and stories to share with you.

A few years ago, we were having a bbq at Grandpa and Grandma’s. Grandpa had grilled up some burgers and we were sitting at the table in the back yard visiting and enjoying the feast.

Grandma had gone inside to make more ice tea or something. I looked across the table during a moment of silence to see Grandpa staring at me with tears rolling down his face. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, I asked, “Are you okay Grandpa?”

“Oh honey, you look exactly like I last remember my mother. You are about the age she was when she died.”

Awk-ward.

However, I have to say, that even in the awkward moment, I have never in my life been so proud… of my varicose veins, this hump on the back of my neck, my hanging bottom lip, and this double chin. (I somehow managed to miss out on the boisterous laugh – maybe it didn’t come from the Watterworth genes.)

My sisters and I were reminiscing the other day and recalling going to a Kiddie Land Park when we went to visit in Regina. It might as well have been Disneyland to us kids from the boonies. Grandpa opened his wallet and handed each of us a FIVE dollar bill. An incredible amount of money to us in the early 70s. But it taught us what a generous man our grandfather was.

Most who know our family, probably know we didn’t celebrate Christmas when we were young children. The first time we remember receiving Christmas gifts was 1973, just after Grandma Margaret passed away. It seemed to us Grandpa sent one of everything in the Sears Christmas Wish Book.

Again, solidifying in our minds the generosity of our Grandpa. And through the years this generosity of both Grandpa and Grandma Gloria has continued, as they faithfully remember the special days and events of all – generation after generation after generation. What a heritage of blessing we have been given.

What a treat it was for me in 2009 to present my grandson to my grandfather and get a 5 generation photo.

Grandpa graduated to heaven on November 25th – Jennifer’s 45th birthday. When her birthday card arrived, signed in Grandpa’s handwriting, with his legendary smiley face in the “G”, she was beyond thrilled to realize she probably got his last written card.
….

The following note comes from Laura:

Today is a sad day for us, saying goodbye to Grandpa. But today is also a day to remember that his love for our Lord Jesus Christ shone through him. We all know where he is and that he is happy.

Grandpa, or as my children called him, "one eyed Grandpa", always had a gleam in his eye and such quick wit with his humour.

That is one thing that he passed on to his children, and through the generations: a sense of humour, although quirky, and a tremendous laugh to go with it. You know when you are at a Cutting reunion because the laughter is intense and loud!

Grandpa and Grandma came to my wedding in 1993 in Calgary. One of the regrets I have in my life, is that our Best Man drove too quickly to the pictures, and Grandma and Grandpa couldn't keep up, and they never made it to the pictures.
But luckily, we were able to spend many more years with Grandpa. 

Grandpa enveloped Darryl, he took him in and treated him no differently than he did the rest of the family. This was a great comfort for myself and Darryl. There were times that Darryl even called and asked Grandpa advise. 

When our children were younger, we would vacation in the Okanagan Valley and always loved our visits with Grandpa and Grandma.  They were both always so happy to see us and enjoyed seeing our children grow up. 

This past June, I went with my parents to Uncle Ed's funeral in Kamloops. After the funeral, we all gathered at Uncle Ed's home and we visited for a few hours.

Eventually the cameras came out and everyone had their picture taken with Grandpa and Grandma. It took quite a while to get through the picture - this is not a small family. 

At the end of all the picture taking, I helped Grandpa to his feet. I said to him "Look at what you created! If it wasn't for you, none of us would be here". He looked around the room, then back to me. He had a tear rolling down his face and he smiled. He couldn't speak. It was a beautiful moment and I will never forget it.  I am so glad I was able to spend that time with him in June. 

You were a wonderful man, Grandpa, and I know that all of us love you deeply.
I will see you again one day!

Love always,
Laura


I also have a note from Nastasha to share with you, that blesses my heart more than I can say:

George Harvey Cutting was better known as "Grandpa One-Eye" to me, a title he wore proudly and had great fun with.

I am sure none of us will forget him teasing us with the toy eye ball at the family reunion at Aunt Jean and Uncle Ted's. ……( I dunno, Nastasha, I’m not 100% convinced it was a toy)……

I always looked forward to family vacations west to visit him and Grandma Gloria. There were raspberries to pick and always crafts to be made. I will never forget how terrified of that bear skin rug I was; fearing it would somehow come to life while I was sitting on it.

I have these wonderful memories to hang on to always, but none of them compares to the peace and joy we brought to each other recently without speaking a word to one another. 

Grandpa had incredible faith in the Lord and walked his journey on this Earth hand in hand with Jesus.

Two words that didn't enter my life until recently (the past year or so) are “God” and “Jesus.” On my spiritual journey to finding the truth in Christ, there were many ups and downs; all of which the Lord guided me and carried me through.
After spending much time studying God's word, I began asking questions about baptism. Eventually the holy spirit provided me with answers to my questions and I was baptized into Christ in August.

My mom told Grandpa and Grandma of my decision to be baptized while she was visiting them in October. When my birthday rolled around in mid November I received the usual card and letter. This time the letter read how over joyed they were to hear I had given my life to Christ and that it was an answer to fervent and frequent prayer.

I contemplated picking up the phone and calling to thank them for the uplifting note; as many people had removed themselves from my life upon me becoming a Christian. But life was busy and I never made that phone call.  

Later I was informed of Grandpa being in the hospital.  I finally picked up the phone and called, only being able to speak with Grandma. But it was enough to hear her tell me of the joy it brought Grandpa (and her) to know I had come to find Jesus, and Grandpa’s fervent prayer was not in vain.

But being the man of faith he was, he knew it was not in vain; "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayers." - 1 Peter 3:12
He knew God would answer when it was His will and the time was right. 

It brings me great happiness and peace to know that I could bring Grandpa such joy with one decision, and to know he was proud of me and the new path I have chosen to walk. This I will always hang on to.

It does not make me sad to know he has moved on because its not "good - bye", it's just "see you later." For I know he has received eternal life and is only asleep in Christ. I will see him again at the coming of the Lord. 

"Brothers and sisters we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus, those who have fallen asleep in Him.
According to the Lord's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
After that, we who are still alive and are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

 Therefore, encourage one another with these words." - 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

So I, Nastasha encourage you all with these words; and I encourage you to seek out the truth.


Grandpa would not want us to grieve and mourn, but to rejoice that he has moved on from this world and that we will be reunited with him again through Christ someday.




No comments:

Happy Swim-a-versary to Me!

These two selfies were taken exactly 75 minutes apart.  On January 8, 2023.  The first, as I was proudly about to walk into my very first sw...